Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Winter Blues

Winter Blues is a painting that I started several years ago and never finished. My son actually had the unfinished painting hanging on his wall for a year or so until I decided that it was time to finish it. 
I challenged myself with a limited palette for  this one. I wanted to do a relatively monochromatic painting so to this end I used a blue, a complimentary orange and white. The orange was used mainly to darken and neutralize the blue.
This is a scene that I photographed at Mer Bleue in Ottawa during late afternoon a day or so after we had some freezing rain. With the low sun and the ice on the trees it was a magical moment. Unfortunately, I was not able to capture the glittering ice in my painting but I am still pleased with the lighting and the painting as a whole. I feel that there is still something magical about the scene.

1 comment:

Wendy L. said...

Wow, Judy! Glad you finished this painting! Very happy you shared this wonderful moment in time with us! Wendy L. (RCCB)