Sunday, February 8, 2015

The Wild Side

The Wild Side is an example of a plein air painting that did not work on location but I saw some good elements happening that inspired me to do a painting in the studio.
There were several things that happened with this painting that are so 'not me'. First, I decided that I wanted to go big! All that I had when the urge came upon me to paint this painting was several 16" X 20" canvases so I decided to use two of them side by side. The other thing that I decided was that I wanted to deviate from actual colours and that I wanted a yellow sky. I also experimented with mixing the colours directly on the canvas which I feel gives it more depth. The original plein air painting was done in early June but I ended up with fall colours instead and I like it!!!
So why the deviations? I think that I was influenced by a couple of factors: This painting was done soon after participating in an art show where several people suggested that I do some bigger paintings. Also, at the time I had been looking at other artist's blogs and books which were a great inspiration to me to do something different from my usual.

No comments: