Sunday, July 7, 2013

Barn Shovels


The weekly summer paint outs that I attend with the Manotick Art Association have started up again. This year I have decided to do mainly acrylic paintings on a prepared piece of thin plywood.
Our first session was held at the hobby farm of one of our members in Heckston, Ontario. It poured that day so I decided to paint in the barn - hence the shovels. This was my first 'on site' acrylic painting and I really struggled with the paints. In hindsight I think I was struggling because of the amount of humidity in the air. I also struggled with the colours for two reasons: the lighting was less than desirable and I was not able to mix the colours that I wanted. As a result of my difficulties I did not get too much of the painting done on site. The full view of the shovels (my 'on site' painting) became mostly a studio painting.
The view of the shovel handles detail is a small (6 X 6 inch) studio painting that I did from my photo after playing around with my cropping tool and texture tool on my photo editing program. I do really like my detail painting.

No comments: