Thursday, October 16, 2008

Farewell to Summer - Mini

Farewell to Summer - Mini is a smaller, close-up version of the previous painting of the monarch butterfly sitting on Helenium flowers. As you may have noticed with the previous painting this series of paintings was done in acrylic paints. I had bought some acrylics for another project and decided that I would try my hand at doing a painting with them. They are a nice change from watercolour since they are so forgiving! I think I changed my mind about how to do the background in the previous painting three times and could actually get away with it, whereas with watercolours that is impossible! It is interesting to hear different people's reactions to the different media. I tried to reproduce Farewell to Summer in watercolour but considered my attempts rather dismal but a friend of mine preferred that to the acrylic. Judging from different people's reactions to all of my paintings, I am beginning to think that people are either drawn to watercolour or to acrylic paintings. For myself, I think I would have to say I appreciate the skill and technique needed and used in both mediums.

No comments: